Level 4 Network Engineer
IT & Network Engineering Apprentice
37.5 hours per week during normal office opening hours (9.00am to 5.30pm)
Salary: £13,000 – £15,000 [with commission packages available]
Please contact Tom on Tom.Lindley@estio.co.uk or call 01133500333
About the company:
We are an IT Support & Consultancy Company based in central Southampton and have been running since 2003. We offer IT & networking solutions to local businesses and home users across Hampshire and Dorset.
Brief job description:
Estio Training have an exciting new opportunity for a Network Engineer Apprentice with IT Support and Consultancy Company based in Southampton.
· To provide efficient and effective IT support to primarily to our customers for installations, usage, or maintenance of customers’ products to ensure that the system is functioning according to specifications, This includes but is not limited to hardware, software, audio, visual, printers, servers, and other IT related equipment.
· As part of your development you should assistant when appropriate the more senior technicians with for more challenging jobs, including website and hosting, DNS related jobs, advanced back up solutions and full installation of servers.
· You will also provide support to all more junior members of staff.
· You will be expected to deliver IT support both on and, but you will mainly be travelling onsite to jobs: a company pool car will be made available to you. You must monitor IT support coverage so that any changes made to the calendar are clearly communicated with the customers immediately to avoid potential complaints. You should ensure you are well prepared for each onsite site and that you carry the correct tools necessary (all tools will be provided by the company).
· To act as an escalation point for basic training needs for all more junior members of staff, when necessary. You should ensure that any unresolved issues are escalated accordingly to a more senior technician.
· To listen carefully to the customer’s problem, diagnose and identify the customer’s needs and ensure that the IT solution you provide is the most effective and efficient solution tailored to that customer. Thorough diagnosis should include asking the right questions to ensure that the customer avoids downtime due to any incompatibility.
· You should ensure that any software upgrades or suggestions are compatible with the customer’s current IT set up to avoid delay or failure in resolving the issue.
· To regularly communicate the status of your technical solution to the customer clearly and in a user-friendly, professional manner. You will ensure that your ‘Daily Contacts’ are completed by the close of business everyday without fail to ensure that our customers receive the best level of customer service.
· To ensure that all computer equipment is assigned a ticket and logged on to our accounting software. You must ensure that any information/updates, linked with that ticket, are entered onto the ticketing system immediately. This ensures that all technicians are able to provide the customer a full update in your absence.
· To follow all internal processes, procedures and policies. Failure to comply with company procedures and policies may result in formal proceedings.
· Offer tuition to customers for new hardware or software installations.
· Proactively educate customers and more junior members of the team about our ‘Go Monthly Support Package’ options and other potential software hardware and services upgrades.
· To assist in the creation of technical documents and training material.
· To assist in sourcing deals and offers, as well as new suppliers, for the resale of hardware and software.
· To act as a role model at all times by complying with procedures and policies, acting professionally.
· To assist the other departments with phone answering, providing technical knowledge, presenting training.
· Ensure compliance with the Cash Handling Policy.
· Create accurate customer invoices following completion of the work, including number of hours labour, cost of part sold, and their correct hourly labour rate.
· Create quotes when instructed by the customer ensuring correct markup is included.
· Ensure the office is kept tidy and orderly so that tools and equipment can be easily located and walk ways are kept clear.
· Take pride in your ‘Tech Roles’ and lead other members of the team by example of your attitude towards your roles.
· Update and maintain all SOPs on Sweetprocess to ensure these are kept up to date and are in line with current business practices.
· To organise the chosen room for training, including organise sufficient seating, training materials, set up the projection slides and print sufficient handouts. You should also ensure that all staff are aware of the correct time and date and send out training instructions to all attendees.
· To assist the HR Business Partner from time to time in preparing information for the Team Sync. Including gathering data, setting up the slides on the TV screen, ensuring the presentation clicker works, and ensuring sufficient seating is available.
· To assist the HR Business Partner in ensuring the correct materials are available for the team for the ‘HCHelp 6 step sign off’, ie Swipii cards, Checkatrade cards, pens, HCHelp business cards.
· To monitor there are sufficient tools and products available for the smooth running of the workshop and remote area, including cleaning products, screen cleaners, tape, stationary. Also ensure the tools used in the workshop area are in good working order and report to the HR Business Partner as necessary.
· To proactively promote, encourage and monitor the use of Swipii and Checkatrade by the other members of the team. You will also work alongside the HR Business Partner in creating promotional newsletters to our Swipii customers.
· Offer good customer service skills and ensure the bests interests of the business are maintained and you will establish a workable solution which benefits all parties.
· Professionally handle all communications with customers and ensure that any issues are resolved both promptly and thoroughly.
· Offer advice to other members of the team where you feel a phone call or customer interaction could have been handled better. Likewise, offer guidance to other members of the team when you recognise their behaviours may not have been appropriate with regards to company culture, and or following policies and procedures.
· Make continued suggestions to the team for improved ways of working.
· Identify opportunities where the customer may benefit from sale of new or additional services or products and actively promote the Apprentices to do the same.
· Ensure thorough understanding of how IT downtime can impact on a business’ productivity and act with the accordance priority. Maintain an understanding of the ‘bigger picture’ and how IT fits into the running of a company.
· Other ad-hoc duties as assigned by the more senior members of the team.
- A full UK driving license is essential
- Ability to analyse the information you are provided and offer a best practice solution
- Ability to ask diagnostic questions
- Ability to use good communication skills to update others
- Ability to converse professionally and calmly with customers and ensure we maintain good working relationships.
- Good time management skills.
- Administrative ability (updating ticketing system, creating invoices, Powerpoint etc).
- Ability to use systems to offer customers a consistent service and so do what you say you will do, daily contacts etc.
- Good knowledge of Microsoft Office, in particular Word and Powerpoint
- Willing to ask others if you need help
- Passionate about IT.
- To understand the importance of good customer service and lead by example.
- An understanding of how downtime can affect the various departments within a business.
- Ability to diagnose, troubleshoot, obtain information and provide solutions for a good range of technical problems.
- Ability to apply health and safety procedures within the workplace, including manual handling, fire awareness and hazard awareness.
- Familiarity with basic network troubleshooting, including setting up WIFI hotspots, diagnosing speed and broadband issues, replacing routers, creating network cables.
- Must possess the ability to work well within the Southern IT Solutions Group environment and align your behaviours with our core values [HOLR] Honesty, Ownership, Learning and Respect.
- Willingness to get involved and show a commitment to the company’s business strategy.
- Reliable and trustworthy
- Excellent team player and willingness to help others
- Excellent listener
- Friendly and approachable
- Professional and calm
- Helpful and considerate – ability to foresee problems before they arise.
- Desire to learn – we expect the candidate to volunteer to assist the team manager in more advanced IT projects, such as server installs, malware removal , data backup installs etc.
Things to Consider:
You will be accountable in all aspects of maintaining and providing IT support to our business and home customers. This will include working on customer’s computers both within our office and by attending the customer’s premises. This involves prioritising type of fault by liaising directly with the client to obtain full details of the issue. You should work alongside the more senior technicians in ensuring that customers are given priority and dealt with urgency. This is to ensure that we maintain our service level agreement time periods.
As a Level 1 technician you should continue to develop your IT and customer service skills and behaviours by regularly benchmarking yourself against more senior members of the team. This should be achieved through not only through observation but also self-development, and any desires to attend additional training which would be of benefit to you and your role, should be communicated with the Technical Director. Likewise you should also strive to act as a role model for more junior members of the team, by providing support and guidance in both technical and customer services skills.
As a Level 1 Technician, your administrative skills should be good and therefore all jobs will be accurately logged within our ticketing software and ensure that customers are billed accurately with thorough descriptions of works completed. Whilst you will be working as a Level 1 IT technician, a main element of the role is delivering first class customer service. Therefore, you should strive to build on the customer service skills you already possess and be willing to deliver training to the other members of the team on customer services. In addition, you will be accountable for ensuring that new members of the team receive a thorough onboarding and ensure they are familiar with all aspects of the running of the business, from company procedures to company culture therefore making yourself available to them will be essential. You will also work closely with the HR Business Partner to perform training needs analyses and produce and deliver training courses for the team as a result.
There may be occasions when you will cover the roles and duties of Trainee Level 2 and Level 2 Technicians in the event of annual leave / sickness.
You will work closely with the other IT technicians both within the company, Backup Box and Home Computer Help, the IT Director and HR Business Partner, although most of the focus will be around solving the IT issues and providing our customers with a first class service.
The role offers long term security and the opportunity to progress into a permanent position.
Training to be provided:
The Estio Training programme gives young people the opportunity to get hands on experience in the IT industry whilst still employed in a real paid job with no cost or debt.
Learners will receive eight weeks of intensive training. Whilst in the workplace, apprentices will also receive continual coaching, help and guidance from a dedicated Skills Development Coach who will be there to ensure that they get the most from their work experience.
This apprenticeship will give you a Level 4 Network Engineer Standard with training in areas such as:
- Functional skills, Maths L2 and English L2
- CompTIA A+ Certification
- Network Principles
- Network Systems & Architecture
- Network Security
Some of these modules will include an option to take an examination in order to receive a professional certificate.