Level 3 Software Development Technician
Job Title: Apprentice Software Developer
Salary: £NMW apprentice and above 37.5 hours per week (To be discussed)
Please contact Tom on Tom.Crossland@estio.co.uk or call 01133 500 333
About the company:
This company offer IT support to local businesses in Huddersfield and surrounding areas.
We take away the pain, hassle, and difficulty of owning your IT infrastructure, we provide our customers with everything they need including planning, acquisition, implementation, ongoing support and decommissioning.
We are experts at networking and WIFI, server hardware, operating systems, databases, email platforms, customising and integrating systems, security, backup and disaster recovery, in fact, we offer all the skills needed to keep your business running well.
Estio Training have an exciting new opportunity for a Software Dev apprentice with an IT Solutions company based in Huddersfield
Due to a recent demand from our clients in development work, we are looking to take on an apprentice software developer to work closely with the owner of the company.
The Apprentice Software Developer will be expected to participate in all aspects of the company’s work, with appropriate levels of support and guidance.
Your duties and responsibilities in this role will consist of:
- Assisting in software development tasks on internal projects
- Assisting in designing and developing websites
- Software testing and development of automated tests
- Using and operating the Visual Studio suite
- Using .NET to develop a wide range of applications, mostly desktop and server apps, but there will be opportunities to web-based development also
- Some administrative work when required
- You may be asked to assist with other IT tasks when needed
This is quite an exciting role for an aspiring programmer. We primarily write data-driven software, some with a user interface and some that works as a background service linking applications on differing platforms.
Recent projects include a stocktake program that integrates with MS Office ND Syspro (An ERP system), Several projects linking Xerox Docuware to other systems such as Syspro, & Chorus Accounts (based on an IBM AS400), A stock replenishment application for retail (Filemaker), A CRM package, a Mortgage processing application and a skip –hire control system.
We are also developing in internal network monitoring and remediation tool to help monitor and manage our ever growing estate of Cisco equipment and servers.
The technologies we are using such as SNMP, SYSLOG, Telnet, SSH together with mastery of low level stuff such as ARP scans, raw TCP Packets etc is not a commonly found set of skills. As a candidate, you’d be hard pushed to find another role where you will learn this stuff.
As the candidate progresses, we would like to expand further into mobile and web apps.
- GCSEs grades A*-C/9-4 or equivalent (including English Language and Maths and a Preferably a Science)
- Some level of coding experience in general. (Programming rather than just HTML/CSS) The language is not that important.
- Some experience using C# and/or VB desired
- An overall good knowledge of IT and the various applications within development
- An aptitude to soak up learning
- SQL experience is deisirable
- We are looking for the right type of person to establish themselves as a software developer by learning from the owner and showing passion for wanting to become a developer – lots of experience is not necessarily needed at this stage
- Hard working
• Honest & Punctual
• Willing to learn
• Willing to do some study in their own time
• An aptitude to IT in general – regardless of what type
• Fairly practical – ability to use their hands and use tools or willingness to learn
- Opportunity to work with experienced professionals
- Free soft drinks
- Quarterly team social events
- A fantastic learning environment where a lot of time and effort is put into your personal and professional development
We do not want a 1-year apprentice. We are recruiting for a longer-term member of our team and you have the opportunity to be mentored by two senior engineers, each with 20 years’ experience. We aim to provide one of the most technically competent teams in the area and you will be part of it.
There is a lot of to learn and there are great opportunities to expand within this role and specialise.
This may sound daunting, but training and mentoring will be given.
We are confident that the candidate with the right frame of mind, enthusiasm and commitment to learning will flourish and rapidly become a key member of our growing team.
Training to be provided:
The Estio Training programme gives young people the opportunity to get hands on experience in the IT industry whilst still employed in a real paid job with no cost or debt.
Learners will receive six weeks of intensive training. Whilst in the workplace, apprentices will also receive continual coaching, help and guidance from a dedicated Skills Development Coach who will be there to ensure that they get the most from their work experience.
This apprenticeship will give you a Level 3 Software Development Technician Standard with training in areas such as:
- Functional skills, Maths L2 and English L2
- Software Development Fundamentals
- Software Development Context and Methodologies (Two Parts)
Some of these modules will include an option to take an examination in order to receive a professional certificate.
Learners will also benefit from support and coaching by other team members.