Title: Apprentice Software Developer
Company: Cognitive Business
Full Address: Cognitive.business Ltd, 71-75 Shelton Street, Covent Garden, London, WC2H 9JQ, UK (Company is fully remote working)
Weekly Hours Worked: 37
Flexitime (with core hours)
Please contact Tom Lindley on Tom.Lindley@estio.co.uk or call 01133 500 333
About the company:
Cognitive Business specialises in solving industrial problems using a combination of engineering-science, Machine Learning (A.I.) and software development. Cognitive is a UK leader in innovation in A.I. for offshore wind operations and maintenance.
Estio Training has an exciting new opportunity for a Software Developer Apprentice with Cognitive Business, an artificial intelligence company which operates remotely.
Cognitive Business has a new opportunity for a motivated apprentice who will be joining the team at a very exciting time of growth and transition. Alongside gaining the skills you need for your new job role, you’ll be studying towards gaining a Level 4 Software Developer apprenticeship qualification. You’ll be supported by your line manager and the wider team at Cognitive Business to help support applications and data within the business.
Cognitive is a start-up/scale-up, offering the chance to grow and develop your skills working on real-world problems to develop solutions which will enhance the business and its products.
As an Apprentice Software Developer, you will be integral to commercial and internal product development. Depending on skills and passion you will have several paths to progress as a software developer, general skills you will develop:
● Developing software solutions which integrate with components from other developers
● Writing and maintaining technical and user documentation
● Delivering well written, clean and testable code
● Taking part in team meetings and discussions to design technical solutions
● Shaping the direction of tech decisions within the team
● Ongoing communication/coordination with the client
● Enthusiasm for problem solving, learning and sharing knowledge
● Coding using a range of technologies (both front end and back end)
● Building standard databases using SQL.
● Interfacing with complex cloud based data systems.
● Understanding of responsive web design
● Passionate about building great products and user experience
● Understanding of UX and front-end development
● Array of previous projects and portfolio
● Knowledge of security and encryption best practices as well as safe and GDPR compliant data storage
● Understanding and able to confidently use Source Control (GIT based)
• 5 GCSEs grades A*-C/9-4 or equivalent (including English Language and Maths)
• At least one A-level in a relevant STEM subject (A*-C) or equivalent.
• Must have passion
• Must strive to be exceptional
• Must demonstrate this through existing portfolio of relevant extracurricular activities
The role offers the opportunity to progress into a permanent position, and could provide a platform to obtain degree level education, whilst working.
Training to be provided:
The Estio Training programme gives young people the opportunity to get hands on experience in the IT industry whilst still employed in a real paid job with no cost or debt. Learners will receive five weeks of intensive training. Whilst in the workplace, apprentices will also receive continual coaching, help and guidance from a dedicated Skills Development Coach who will be there to ensure that they get the most from their work experience.
This apprenticeship will give you a Level 4 Software Developer Standard with training in areas such as:
● Functional skills, Maths L2 and English L2
● Software Development Methodologies
● Software Language
● Developing Software using SQL
Some of these modules will include an option to take an examination in order to receive a professional certificate.