Level 4 Software Developer
Job title: Apprenticeship Software Developer Level
Employer: University of Manchester
Full Address: The University of Manchester, Oxford Road, Manchester, M13 9PL
Weekly Hours worked: 9.00-5.00 (35 Hours)
Salary: £13,736 per annum rising to £15,322 per annum after successful completion of an 8-month probation period.
Please contact Tom at Tom.Lindley@estio.co.uk or call 01133 500 333
About the company:
The University of Manchester’s is one of the world’s leading universities built on strong research and teaching practices alongside one of the best apprenticeship programmes in the UK. The Technical Apprenticeship Programme is building on its success’s year-on-year and continues to develop, matching the needs of our community. We are proud of our strong reputation for being able to offer each of our apprentices individualised training, specialised projects, and targeted development to build a strong future career at the cutting edge of technology. We ensure your apprenticeship journey is enriching and one to be remembered. Team building, self-development, and working relationships are all embedded in a fun, dynamic way specific to our programme.
Brief job description:
This is an exciting opportunity to join a world-leading university with a prestigious reputation for research expertise and scientific advancement. You will be involved in disruptive technology within industry and igniting social change.
As a Software Developer at The University of Manchester your creativity will know no bounds, working in modern offices and using state of the art equipment and laboratories our highly skilled staff will support you on your journey towards becoming a Specialist Software Technician.
Initial training will be provided to cover key areas common to all software developer areas:
- Software design principles using Single responsibility, Open-closed, Liskov substitution, Interface segregation and Dependency inversion (SOLID) and Object-Oriented Principles (OOP).
- Design methods and stakeholder communication including, requirements capture and analysis for user needs. Evaluating system feasibility, economic and technical analysis and allocation of functions to system elements.
- Software configuration management using good practices for development, version control, and documentation throughout processes.
- Testing, verification, and validation methodologies to check specifications are met and fulfil intended purposes.
- Fundamental structures of software systems including theoretical and practical aspects of software architecture.
- Software and system maintenance procedures and practices.
Specific training will be offered by the various workplace rotations and will include:
- Computer Sciences, Mechanical Aerospace and Civil Engineering and Electrical Electronics Engineering work placements to rotate through and gain experience.
- Working alongside world leading technical experts and Experimental Officers within Computer Science and other departments.
- Maintain software and effectively identify faults and issues to Industry and research specific standards.
- Website development using varied build techniques to accomplish business or user defined requirements.
- Using software to control or interface with hardware systems in existing and new technologies (HSI).
- Embedded software systems
- 5 GCSEs grades A*-C/9-4 or equivalent (including English and Maths)
- Ideally hold A levels; a level 3 apprenticeship or other relevant qualification; relevant experience and / or an aptitude test with a focus on functional maths.
- Excellent communication skills (both written and oral).
- Logical approach to problem solving.
- Able to think ‘outside of the box’
- Numerate and analytically thinking
- Computer literate in Hypertext Mark-up Language (HTML), Cascading Style Sheets (CSS) and Java Script.
- Strong interest in coding or scripting
- Excellent organisational abilities
- Ambitious and career minded
- A keen eye for detail, self-motivated and a strong work-ethic (punctual & reliable).
- An ability to work both independently and within a team to meet time-critical goals and targets as the role dictates.
- A willingness to undertake further practical and theoretical training as dictated by the role.
The role offers long term security and the opportunity to progress into a permanent position.
Training to be provided:
The Estio Training programme gives young people the opportunity to get hands on experience in the IT industry whilst still employed in a real paid job with no cost or debt.
Learners will receive five weeks of intensive training. Whilst in the workplace, apprentices will also receive continual coaching, help and guidance from a dedicated Skills Development Coach who will be there to ensure that they get the most from their work experience.
This apprenticeship will give you a Level 4 Software Developer Standard with training in areas such as:
- Functional skills, Maths L2 and English L2
- Software Development Methodologies
- Software Language
- Developing Software using SQL
Some of these modules will include an option to take an examination in order to receive a professional certificate.